When stocking my pantry and refrigerator, there are a few things I like to always have on hand. These items have helped me out time and time again when I’ve been at a loss for what to cook. I’ll share these items with you and highlight what I like to prepare with them.
My absolute favorite staples are: feta cheese, balsamic vinegar, and blue cheese. We usually get ours from Whole Foods, but you can usually find them at any grocery store.
- We get our feta cheese in a huge block. Since it’s packed in brine, it last for weeks!
- The kids love eating feta with pasta for lunch. It’s a great way to get some calcium!
- Feta is also great for salads. Try tossing it with some romaine and a little lemon juice.
- To try: I have been wanting to make stuffed pork chops with feta cheese and grape tomatoes.
- I can be found caramelizing onions in balsamic vinegar at every chance. So good!
- I learned about cooking balsamic vinegar down and throwing in some strawberries–addictive!
- Balsamic vinegar also makes a good marinade for meat. Try it on a steak!
- To try: I really want to find a quality balsamic vinegar that I can use as an ice cream topping. I hear it’s divine!
- Blue cheese tastes wonderful on top of a steak. Try it!
- I recently started stuffing burgers with blue cheese. Heavenly!
- A while back, I embellished on my mom’s stuffed pork chops and used blue cheese in the stuffing.
- To try:I would love to make the perfect chunky blue cheese dressing like I found at a restaurant once.
These are the things that keep my kitchen (and tummies) happy. There are many items that you can find that have versatile uses like these. They may even already be in your kitchen!
What are some of your favorite things to cook with?