When I was growing up, we had plenty of Halloween decorations. There was always a Jack-o-lantern on the porch and a paper skeleton on the front door. Now that I have my own family, I decorate for the season with… nothing. It’s not that I don’t like the holiday; I just never got around to buying decorations for it. I finally decided to buckle down and make my own Halloween decor in the form of a pumpkin snowman.
Items Needed for a Pumpkin Snowman
- Foam Pumpkins
- Bic Mark-It® Permanent Markers
- School Glue
- Pipe Cleaners
- Colored Glitter
- Decorative Items such as beads and pompoms
Steps to Making a Pumpkin Snowman
- Pull the “stems” off two of the pumpkins and put to the side. You may want to use the stems later.
- Place a ring of glue on one of the stemless pumpkins and place another on top. Repeat and top with the stemmed pumpkin. Let the glue dry completely.
- You should have three pumpkins stacked together. They are now ready to decorate. To make a hat on the top, temporarily remove the stem and color a circle on top with a Bic Mark It Permanent Marker. Replace the stem and color it a matching shade.
- Color facial features on the top pumpkin. If you wish to make a three-dimensional nose, insert one of the discarded stems into the side of the pumpkin. Color the stem if you like, and then draw the features on either side.
- You can decorate the body however you like with a Mark It. I chose to draw spiders for buttons on the front of this one, but you can use any of their bright colors to make your pumpkin stand out. The next step is to brush on school glue and sprinkle colored glitter over the entire pumpkin snowman. Do this lightly so the colors of the markers still show underneath. Let the glue dry before going on to the next step.
- Take one of the stem wires and punch holes on both sides of the second pumpkin. Insert a pipe cleaner on each side. Trim and form the ends into hand shapes, if you like.
- You may decorate the snowman with small objects such as beads or pompoms. Do this away from children or you will lose many of them!